BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Like Fitzgerald

     
         Eleanor called a cab and went back inside to wait. She sat at the bar swirling her drink around. The fact that she was lonely was obvious. What she need was a physical touch. But, she wasn't one of "those girls".  In the past three years of knowing Sidney she hadn't been able to make herself care for another man the way she cared for Sidney. However, that left her with some unwavering desires. The only way she could think to get rid of them was by taking part in what the boys so fondly had deemed "Hit it and quit it." The first attempt, the guy had been such a drunken mess that he left a trail of whatever he had consumed that night on his way to the trashcan. The second time, the man threw on his clothes right after the gropey, unsatisfying sex and called her Rebecca as he walked out the door. After those two charming experiences that would make any girl swoon, she called off the whole endevor. Some women could do it, she just wasn't one of them; which brought her back to her original predicament. She had a fleeting vision of Sidney throwing the front door to her house open and taking her on the foyer floor. A shiver ran the length of her spine and she downed her drink.

She motioned for the bartender. She probably did not need it. But what the hell? If she was going to wallow in self pity she should commit. "Another please."

"Put it on my tab."

A roguishly handsome dark blonde walked up. He had a square jaw and dark orbs for eyes. There was an indication of a five o' clock shadow and defeat on his face.

"Thanks. Mr..."

"Oh.Um. Garrison." He held out a hand to her. "Jack Garrison"

"The author?"

"yes." He nodded taking the seat next to her. She loved his writing. He was a cross between a social commentator and an investigative jounalist. All his work was humourous, but had truth and meaning to it.

"You just finished a book on the perception of social classes in America....  The Irony Of The Delusion"

"I did. I figure I spend so much time focusing on different personalities individually, commentating on their lifestyle, I should put it all together, see how they compare. I am impressed though. Who knew I had such a fan base, and a beautiful one at that?"

She blushed at his compliment.

"So does my adoring fan have a name?"

"Who said anything about being an adoring fan? I just recognized your name."  He raised an eyebrow at her.

 'It is Eleanor... Ingram"

"A beautiful name for a beautiful face."

"You write for a living and that is the best you can do" she teased.

He smiled along with her. "It's been a long week, I am a little off my game. Honestly, if it were any other woman I probably wouldn't have bothered coming over here. But you are absolutely gorgeous and I was sensing a kindred spirit. I had to know if I was right."

"And were you?"

"yes"

"In what way?"

"I see someone with just as many problems as me, that is trying just as hard to hide them, probably for the benefit of someone else."

"Sounds about right." she conceded.

"So what is it? Boyfriend cheat on you? You cheat on him? Hurt someone you love?"

She let out a humorless laugh."Close... I am in love with someone I can never have." Something about saying it out loud made her wonder why she could talk about this with a complete stranger. 

"More kindred than I thought." 

"And what about you Mr. Garrison?" 

He gave his own dry smile and took a swig of his beer. "Rich girl's don't marry poor boys."

"Oh"

She gazed around the room giving him a moment with his thoughts. Her eyes fell on the sculptural looking clock on the wall. Oh Shit! Her cab was supposed to be there fifteen minutes ago and knowing the friendly faces that drove them they were probably long gone. Still it didn't hurt to check. 

"Listen it was really nice to meet you, but I have to go." 

"Okay." He reached into his jacket for something. "Here is my card. Give me a call sometime, we can grab a coffee."

"yeah." Not knowing if she would actually use it.

She put on her jacket and walked outside, feeling the wet, bumpy, uneven pavement beneath her feet. Eleanor walked to the curb, no sign of a cab in sight. Oh well. At least she was feeling a bit more desirable. She saw a cab coming down the street and began to flag it down. It pulled up to the curb and she went to get in. She felt a hand on her shoulder that nearly made her jump out of her skin.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's fine." She said looking into Jack's face.

They both just stood there for a moment, until he finally spoke.

"I don't know what you have got going on, right now and in general. But, would you like to come to this little bar with me?"

She stared blankly weighing her options.

"I know we just met..." he started, ready to make his case.

"um"

"It's not to far from here, it's just a drink."

Eleanor wondered what Sidney and Kathyrn were doing and had the strong desire to get sick. She looked from the murky yellow cab to his dark, onyx eyes and felt extremely sad.

" I am damaged."

Jack just smiled at her. "We all are."

His honesty sealed her fate. She deserved to escape from her life and he was going to help her do it. She linked her arm with his and off they went. If two people were going to be alone at least they could be alone together.

9 comments:

Rebel Heart said...

Oh gosh... being in love with your best friend, nothing to do about it... hits so close to home!
Well, we've all sorted it out now, but at the time... i know exactly how she was feeling!

Clocking Follow after this and then patiently waiting for the next update*
I like it!

jeyre87 said...

Glad to have you on board. : )

Anonymous said...

Please post more soon!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Please post more soon!!!

MelTing said...

Be good Eleanor, I'm sure you'll regret doing something hasty!

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo liking this. Please post again soon!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Jeyre87, please continue with your other story, as well as this one. I tried to post to that one, but it wouldn't let me.
I really enjoy your stories.

jeyre87 said...

thanks. i will start posting to piece of my heart again too. : )

Anonymous said...

Aw, it's a real shame this wasn't completed, as I really love the premise. It's something I've thought of, but have never seen anyone take on before. Hoping on the off chance that updates are still in the works, just a long time coming :)